Eighteen Scholarships Awarded by Flagler’s Women of Vision Advisory Board for 2023-2024
May 4, 2023
by Julie McGuire
Flagler College’s Women of Vision Advisory Board recently awarded 18 deserving female students scholarships for the 2023-34 academic year, totaling $47,000.
“The financial need among students is greater than ever,” said Linda Allen-Hawkins, chair of the Women of Vision Advisory Board. “We were delighted to be able to help these exceptional young women who have maintained competitive GPA’s while actively participating in campus and volunteer work.
The Women of Vision Advisory Board scholarship program was introduced in 2015 at Flagler and was paid for by a fundraiser called the Power of the Purse. The event involved a silent auction of designer handbags, a raffle, and a luncheon featuring a Ponce de Leon Grand Dining Hall speaker. Despite disruptions caused by the pandemic, scholarships have been awarded every year since inception, awarding 82 scholarships worth $211,950.
Among the recent awards was the special Robin Cooper Women of Vision Scholarship, honoring the organization’s co-founder, who passed away in 2018. A native of Westmont, New Jersey, Carly Shaw was chosen for the award.
“It was extremely difficult for the scholarship committee to choose the eighteen winners,” said Sheia Pleasant-Doine, Flagler College’s financial aid director. “The applicants were all very talented and deserving,”
Shaw is a senior majoring in coastal environmental science who exemplifies Robin Cooper’s legacy of generosity and genuine concern for others.
“After Flagler, I plan to go to graduate school for marine chemistry,” said Carly. “My goal is to be involved in climate change research. I care about the planet’s future and how it affects people today and future generations.”
Also receiving Women of Vision scholarships are:
- Margot Chairs, Gainesville, Florida -- A senior majoring in secondary education and English
- Ashlee Chatom, Jacksonville, Florida -- A senior majoring in digital media production and journalism.
- Cassandra Consigliore, Spring Hill, Florida -- A senior majoring in English.
- Faith Danish, Bloomville, New York -- A senior majoring in economics.
- Destine Laguna’s, St. Augustine, Florida -- A junior majoring in accounting and sports management.
- Sadie Miller, St. Augustine, Florida -- A senior majoring in sociology.
- Zoe Sherman, Marshall, Missouri – A sophomore majoring in digital media production and journalism.
- Aubree Stephens, Brunswick, Georgia -- A sophomore majoring in psychology.
- Amuk Tong, Jacksonville, Florida -- A senior majoring in sport management.
- Kendra Trezona, Cranesville, Pennsylvania -- A senior majoring in coastal environmental science.
- Abby Warburton, Morganton, North Carolina – A senior majoring in coastal environmental science.
- Holly Zufelt, Kohler, Wisconsin – A sophomore majoring in strategic communication, English
- Ann Beverley, St. Augustine, Florida -- A senior majoring in philosophy, religion and English
- Grace Bishop, St. Augustine, Florida -- A senior majoring in criminology.
- Nina Johnson, Jacksonville, Florida – A junior majoring in coastal environmental science.
- Carly Shaw, Westmont, New Jersey -- A senior majoring in coastal environmental science.
- Kailey Tucker, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina – A senior majoring in English.
- Baylee Zimmerman, Lakeland, Florida – A senior majoring in accounting.