Research, Professional and Creative Activity
Area of Research:
- Legal issues in sport
- Discrimination in sport
- Legal issues in CrossFit
- Sport management education
Sport and Recreation Law Association:
- Abstract Reviewer
- Awards Reviewer
- Member, Teaching Committee
- Member, Honors and Awards Committee
- DeMartini, A.L. (2017). Coaches’ surprising tort liability. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 88(9) p. 57-59
- DeMartini, A.L. (2016). Sexual hazing or harassment is a Title IX violation. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 87(4) p. 53-55.
- DeMartini, A.L. (2016). Student-athletes with disabilities have the right to participate. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 87 (2) p. 49-51.
- DeMartini, A. (2016). Age discrimination in employment. In D. Cotten and J. Wolohan (Eds.), Law for Recreation and Sport Managers 7th Ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- DeMartini, A. & Dodds, M. (2016). Private clubs in sport and recreation. In D. Cotten and J. Wolohan (Eds.), Law for Recreation and Sport Managers 7th Ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- DeMartini, A.L. (2014). Is parkour a problem? College and University liability for extreme sport activities. Recreational Sports Journal, 38(1), p. 69 -81.
- DeMartini, A.L. (2013). “Reverse” discrimination in sport? Apilado v. North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 84 (2) p14-16.
- Dodds, M., & DeMartini, A. (2012). Private clubs in sport and recreation. In D. Cotten and J. Wolohan (Eds.), Law for Recreation and Sport Managers 6th Ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- DeMartini, A. L. (2012). Thirty years after USTA v. Richards: The climate for transgender athletes. In S. Regalado & S. Fields (Eds.) Sport and the law: Historical and cultural intersections. Fayetteville, Arkansas: University of Arkansas Press.
- DeMartini, A.L., McNiff-Villemaire, J., & Duarte, B. ( 2018). Personality characteristics of sport management students: implications for teaching. Commission on Sport Management Accreditation Annual Conference. February, 2018, Jacksonville, FL.
- McNiff-Villemaire, J. and DeMartini, A.L. (2017). Student choice. Commission on Sport Management Accreditation Annual Conference. February 2-3, 2017. Tampa, FL.
Presentations at Sport and Recreation Law Association annual conference:
- 2017, March - Research Misconduct: is it actionable? Is peer review enough? Sport and Recreation Law Association Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- 2016, February - CrossFit®,Inc. v. National Strength and Conditioning Association. Sport and Recreation Law Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- 2015 - CrossFit’s intellectual property protection strategy: Beast or bully?
- 2014 - Protecting CrossFit’s intellectual property
- 2013 - Apilado v. North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance:“Reverse” discrimination against straight athletes?
- 2012 - Parkour across North America: Should schools be worried? With Jon Heshka
- 2011- Is Parkour a problem? College and university liability for extreme sports on campus
- 2010 - Thirty Years after Richards v. USTA: the continued significance of transgender athletes’ participation in sport.
- 2009 - Teaching Sport Law to Sport Management Undergraduate Students: A Modified Socratic Method.
- 2009 - Parkour and the Law: Legislation and Liability regarding l'art du déplacement.
- 2008 - NASCAR Legal Liability: A Survey of Recent Cases.
- 2007 - A Keg Up On the Competition: Potential University Liability for Official Recruiting Visit Misbehavior.
- Juris Doctor (2006)
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, GA
- Masters of Education in Sports Studies (2003)
- University of Georgia, College of Education, Athens, GA
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Exercise and Sport Science (1999) University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
- Honors: Order of Grail-Valkyries, UNC Honors Program, Earey Award for Excellence in Exercise Science, Phi Beta Kappa
Teaching and Related Service
- Introduction to Sport Management
- Sport Sociology
- Sport Ethics
- Sport Law
- Recreation and Fitness Management
- Sport Management seminars
- Sport & Film
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Finance
- HTS Department Chair
- HTS Department Search Committee Chair
- Vice Chair Faculty Senate
- Chair Faculty Senate Constitution Committee
- Chair Faculty Senate Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Chair Academic Transition Committee for Dr. Joyner, Flagler College President
- Academic Orientation Faculty
- First Year Learning Community Faculty
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sport and Recreation Law Association
- North American Society for Sports Management
- Red Cross CPR and First Aid certified
- Georgia State Soccer Association “F” license
- National Exercise Trainers Association Group Exercise Leader certification
- CrossFit Level 2 trainer
- CrossFit Kids certified trainer
- WJCT Radio Reading Service
- Betty Griffin Center
- Florida Rights Restoration Coalition
- Monday: 11:00 AM - 12:45 PM
- Tuesday: 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
- Wednesday: 11:00 AM - 12:45 PM
- Thursday: 12:30 PM - 2:15 PM
- Friday: by appt